Monday, May 31, 2021

Something Different

 

"Rosie"

Recently, I’ve been riding Rosie in the small outdoor arena, but this past weekend I opted for the indoor.  It’s been raining for a few days and very cold (45) and windy.  So, riding indoors was a no brainer on Saturday. Just as I was adjusting the girth, Rosie did a huge spook.  Now, Rosie never spooks, so running backwards with her head up and the whites of her eyes showing was very different from her normal behavior. 

 

 

My daughter and Hanz entered the arena and she pointed out that at the end of the arena there were two small foxes hiding behind the stone wall jump.  Aha! I didn’t see them, but apparently Rosie did.  The foxes scampered out under the back door after a few minutes and things seemed to calm down.  I hand-walked Rosie around the arena a few times to give her a good look around.  She seemed to be calmed down, so we went to the mounting block.  Well, she was having none of it and kept jigging around every time I put my foot in the stirrup.  After a few minutes of this, I suggested that my daughter get on her while I held Hanz.

Good plan. It took her a while, but she did get on and walked her around a few times and dismounted.  I’m thankful I have my daughter to help me out when I need it!  In the past I would have persevered and eventually got on her but I’m getting older and less flexible. I don’t bounce as well as I used to, so I decided to let it go for the day.  There’s always another day to ride.

 

Our resident foxes


 We seem to have a lot of baby foxes on the farm this year. I have no idea where the moms are.  Three of them live under the feed shed and two (that I’ve seen) live by the indoor.  They come out and play, wrestle with each other, and take any horse brushes left unguarded to play with.  We’ll find the brushes in the grass or up in the outdoor arena. After this incident, I would prefer them to leave, but they are keeping the rodent population down, so less ticks to deal with. We’ve noticed a big difference already this year.

 

Quote for Today

“When you’re young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you’re my age, you splatter.” – Roy Rogers. 

12 comments:

  1. Discretion is the better part of valour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought it was better to have my daughter as the crash test dummy instead of me! She’s a much better rider!

      Delete
  2. Aw, they’re cute! Maybe Rosie will get used to them. I love little foxes, and since they keep the rodents down, win win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute and fun to watch when they’re playing! I hope all the horses get used to them soon.

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear - so glad J was there to help. I confess I have indoor arena envy and it never occurs to me that it brings its own “issues” - light, shadows, critters, etc. But you and Rosie with J’s help worked through it and I totally agree about calling it a day. Rosie will remember that she got through it and you didn’t push or force her. That’s more important than getting “the ride.” I love foxes but agree - best if they move on from the indoor arena! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t mind the foxes, they’re very cute and useful but I’d like them to stay outside. I did want Rosie to know that she was safe no matter what was going on. J. Is much better at calming horses down so I appreciated her help.

      Delete
  4. Good call! And great quote :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise choice to not ride. Exactly why I choose to ride Koda with Brad vs alone. He is so much better at working through these types of things, that pop up when least expected. As you know, if not handled properly it just increases. Baby fox are super cute! I didn't know they ate ticks. I've been keeping my eyes open for fox on our property. I've seen a couple on the trail cam, but no luck otherwise. We have a couple spots that could be fox dens, or more likely Coyote. I really want to photograph fox in action, love their color. Can I come over ;) I wish! Is that your feed shed the fox are in front of? You have such pretty property, buildings and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the old Kenny Rogers song says” you’ve got to know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em”. I chose to fold ‘em this time. The foxes eat the mice which carry the ticks so as Linda said it’s a win win situation. That is the feed shed they’re in front of. They’ve dug an entrance and exit out underneath it. Guess they’re cozy there and protected from the coyotes. They also figured out how to take a grate cover off from a water drain for water. Pretty smart. And yes you can come by anytime to photograph them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear- poor Rosie. I'm sure she thought that they were much bigger than they were. Also, that indoor is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what she thought but she was definitely spooked by them! Thanks we love the indoor.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.