Tuesday, July 6, 2021

What’s Going On

Basically, not much has been happening around here.  We’ve had heat waves and rain and the weather is all over the place.  I would say our main job is taking care of the horses in the heat and we haven’t really been riding.  Although, the other night when it cooled off my daughter took Rosie for a walk down the alleyway for the first time.  She was a good girl as usual; nothing seems to bother her. Even when the geese landed in the pond next to her with a big splash, she just looked and said "ooh" and kept going.

"The Alleyway "


 

Blue continues to be the laziest horse in the barn.  They come in every night and stand under their fans.  All the other horses have no problem eating out of their hay nets, except Blue has found a better way.  He throws his hay net out the window, so he doesn’t have to go through the bother of bending his head down to eat.  He always finds a better way for him to relax and take it easy.

 

"You got a problem with this"

 

Last week we got a text from the neighbors saying, “If you’re outside you might want to go inside!”  Seems there was a bear casually strolling through their back yard.  He/She’s not a small one by any means. We didn't actually see the bear, I'm thankful it didn't decide to come here for a visit.  ( Hope the video works.)

                                                "Excuse me, just stopping by for an afternoon snack"
 

 

 

Quote for Today

 If you want a stable friendship, get a horse.  ~Author unknown

 

13 comments:

  1. The video worked for me, yikes! Glad the bear did not make an appearance at your place. It is a big one. Your alleyway is so pretty all trimmed up, and look at all that green!! No wonder Rosie enjoyed walking it. Does it make a loop around the pasture? Blue, ha haa! Food does taste better outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad he didn't make an appearance in our yard. Hasn't been a siting in a few days so that's good.

      Yes, Blue does like dining out under the stars. Surprised he didn't ask for candlelight!

      The alleyway goes up into the woods at the end of the property and there is a trail up there that can either go into the grass ring up top or down the side of the hay field on the side of us. So it's a pretty good walk around. My daughter only took her to the end and back, just to see what she would do. She was fine nothing bothers her.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a wonderful walk, or ride!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks it is. I’ve done it with Blue but not Rosie yet. I prefer to let my “crash test dummy” oops I mean my talented, fit and much better rider daughter take the first ride in new places!

      Delete
  2. Holy cow, that bear is huge! Yes, I’d be avoiding it. I didn’t know you had bears in your neighborhood!

    You’re in the same mode I am. It’s hot! I need to get up earlier, I guess. But the chores also need to be done when it’s bearable. There’s a lot competing for my small amount of time. Tomorrow, a morning vet trip.

    I like the idea of fans above every stall. I’m going to look into doing that in my barn. It would probably be helpful for keeping flies down, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bear is huge and I'm glad it didn't come into our yard.

      The ceiling fans in the stalls are great for keeping it cooler inside and keeping the flies away. I think they work better than the box fans we used to have attached to the bars on the stalls. The speed is adjustable from one switch so its convenient too. We have them in two run in sheds and the horseport on the side of the big shed. When it's too hot or too buggy they all come up and stand in the sheds. Worth the money.

      Delete
    2. I believe you! I'm going to put that on my To Do list!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a beautiful bear. Not sure I'd want her in my backyard though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beauty but I’m glad we haven’t seen it at our place. Our neighbor took the video and sent it over.

      Delete
  4. Funny thing about summer, most folks look forward to all the activities they can do and the fun they will have. Horse folks are like "when will fall come and it cools off so we can ride and enjoy our horses!"
    I respect and admire bears- from a distance. So glad it didn't pay you a visit!
    You have lovely fencing. And your pasture is green! Mine is all dried up and crunchy and brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect bears and keep my distance. Don't know if it was male or female but I was glad there weren't any cubs trailing behind!

      Thanks the fencing is nice and I like the extra security of double fencing because we live on a kind of busy two lane road.

      I hate the summer, it's the worst. Can't wait for the fall every year!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Rosie is so good! I love your alleyway - what a nice way to do a warm up or cool down when the weather cooperates again! And BLUE - what a total character. I love him. That is a huge and really healthy looking bear - I enjoy seeing the video from someone else’s farm, LOL. :) Stay cool. We’re waiting on Hurricane Elsa to come through tomorrow. Not eager for all the rain, nor the wind, but we’ll hunker down and manage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie is the best. I can say she's the safest horse I've ever ridden in all these years. And what can I say about Blue that hasn't been said, he's just a character and keeps us smiling.

      In the 90's today, had huge thunderstorms last night, but we needed the rain. Stay safe with Elsa!

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.