Tuesday, May 11, 2021

 Our Herd

 

The herd has decided that they are now officially feral horses.  Mind you, they all have grazing muzzles and fly masks on in a nod to being semi-domesticated.  They do like their comforts, after all.  But they have mutually decided with the warmer weather and breezy nights they’d rather stay out under the stars.  Apparently, they don’t need no stinking barn to be trapped in at night. They are checked on routinely.  Blue and Sami need their medication for Cushing’s which we cleverly disguise inside stud muffins. They are happy and healthy and have access to water and as much grass as they can stuff into their bellies with muzzles on. So, if they prefer to stay out, and if it makes them happy, that’s fine with us.  They are living the most normal way of life for horses and we feel that’s the way it should be.  Everyone who comes to our place always comments on how happy and calm our horses are, and I think just letting them be horses is a big factor in their temperaments. 

 

"Did I hear something about treats"

 

" Really, all that work for a carrot and stud muffin? Just not fair!"

 

 

On Mother’s Day, I did get to ride Rosie.  Whenever they see the Kubota drive up, they all come moseying over because there are usually treats involved.  Well, this time there were treats involved but also saddles and bridles... much to Rosie and Hanz’s dismay.  Once Rosie was tacked up and brought into the ring, I mounted up and off we went for our ride.  Everything was going just fine until Hanz and my daughter rode in.  Well, Rosie's ears went flat back. She was making faces at the poor guy and just trying to avoid him at all costs.  Hanz is so sweet and innocent he couldn’t know what to think or what he did wrong. He’s the kind of horse who likes everyone and just wants to be a friend. She was having none of it and, in truth, she was being a real bitch.  I didn’t put up with her antics because she’s just got to get over herself and learn to get along with the whole herd. This is something we’ll work on until she can tolerate another horse in the ring with her and learn to be a little more gracious and sharing of her space.  Once she figures out that I’m not going to play into her nonsense, she’ll be little miss manners in the ring like she is in the barn.

 


 

Quote for Today

  A bad day riding is better than a good day fishing. 

8 comments:

  1. I take it Rosie is a redhead....They do have 'tude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take it right, she is a redhead! She's usually just a sweetheart but not when one of the boys are invading her space.

      Delete
  2. I think you’re right about it mellowing them out to live naturally. It’s the best thing for them. That’s funny about Rosie. We have a mare like that. She likes to be boss. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is she's not the boss but she hangs out with Blue who is. I think if Blue was in the ring with her she would be fine with it. She doesn't like Hanz for some reason. Who knows what runs through her mind.

      Delete
  3. Riding together with your daughter is such a perfect thing to do on Mothers Day!! I love that your horses get to decide if they want to come in or stay out. Weather must be getting nice. I thought you usually ride with your daughter? Rosie will eventually learn to share, silly girl. Looks like you gave your blog a new Spring look, it's nice! Great color. I need to refresh my blog, it has the original header. I want to print a photo book of the first decade, then do it. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only ridden together with Rosie and Hanz a few times and she always pins her ears at him. Usually, she gives me a lesson (she's a trainer) then she rides Hanz. She just has to get over herself and be more accommodating with other horses in the ring. I can't even imagine what she'd be like in a show ring or on a trail ride. Since we want to take them on the trails she's got to get used to him.

      A photo book would be a great idea! A nice memory.

      Delete
  4. Well, I love that your herd can stay out and pretend to be a wild band roaming the ranges - but they also get every need met at the same time. That is truly the best of both worlds! Re: Rosie, I think mares are just bossier in general, though I’m basing a lot of this on Salina, who flagged and pinned her ears regularly expressing herself in our little herd of geldings. She mostly did it to the pony, honestly probably deserved it but as you said, who knows what is running through Rosie’s mind about Hanz? So glad you got to ride and I hope spring is wonderful for you and your wild horse family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie. I’m planning on riding her tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes. 😏

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.