Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dusty's Strange Behavior


"Dusty"

For the past month or so, Dusty has been exhibiting some very strange behavior that has us baffled.  When she is ridden she acts as if she’s forgotten everything she’s been taught up to now and runs around not listening to rein or aids.  When I say she runs I mean she’s trotting at mach 10 and there’s no slowing her down.  The weather could be a contributing factor, but
I don’t think that’s the case here.

Her other odd behavior is what really has me worried and scratching my head. At night when the herd comes up to the gates to be brought in for the night she turns herself around and heads back out by herself.  She refuses to come into the barn. 

Sometimes Mellon, Donnie or Grady will follow her and spend the night out with her.  Most nights they all want to come in, but not her, she will stay out in the dark by herself. She’ll call to them and they’ll answer her back but she won’t come up and, if on occasion she does, she won’t be caught even with a bucket of feed as a bribe. Normally Dusty loves to eat and lives for treats - who doesn’t right?  This is one of the reasons that I’m worried about her. I might also add here that traipsing out after her does no good because she will mosey just fast enough so it is impossible to catch her.

There is only one new circumstance that I can think of that’s affecting her personality change.  She was tested for thyroid hormones and her blood test came back a bit on the low side so the vet suggested giving her a thyroid medication.  Which we did and she did lose some extra poundage that wasn’t doing her any good.  So that may account for her extra energy when being ridden.  But I don’t think it would change her personality to this degree.

Yesterday I had the vet out to take more tests, her usual Lyme, leptospirosis, thyroid and a CBC/chemistry panel. Her physical exam turned up nothing out of the ordinary.  He seems to think her behavior is unusual too.   Any thoughts on what it could be that maybe I haven’t thought of or had checked?  I’d appreciate any input.

Until next time
Quote for Today
It is the difficult horses that have the most to give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.