Monday, October 5, 2009

Maine-ly Monday



Maine-ly Monday
 

We have just returned from a long weekend in Maine.  I try to visit the ocean as much as I possibly can. Since moving from Long Island, where I grew up, the ocean is one of the few things I miss.  I’ve always lived near water of one kind or another and have many happy, sun- filled childhood memories of riding the ferry to spend the day at Fire Island beaches. Occasionally, when we skipped school, we would always wind up at the beach. Did I just admit to skipping school?  oh my, I hope it doesn’t go on my “permanent record.”

You could say I have salt water in my veins. Simply hearing the crashing ocean waves and watching the surf roll in as you walk along the edge, letting the foam lap around the ankles, reinforces how small and insignificant our problems are when looking out over the vastness of the mighty Atlantic Ocean.  Life seems to take on a more peaceful, introspective attitude as your toes dig into the wet sand, and discovering seashells and sea glass is always a treat.

Here are a few pictures of Penobscot Bay and the Rockland Lighthouse. During our one sunny day, I took advantage of it and actually walked that entire stone pier to investigate the lighthouse.  Each way is about a mile long, so I did get some exercise in to offset all the lobster, crab, scallops, mussels and shrimp meals.

The second day it rained and at night, looking out from our balcony, the fog was so thick the lighthouse beacon was totally obscured. The lighthouse sounded alerts to possible incoming ships every few minutes. Not a fog horn, exactly, but what can only be described as tones, sort of like the ones in Close Encounters. It was somewhat eerie, but I decided to find it charming and stopped myself from making lighthouse sculptures out of mashed potatoes.

Hope you enjoy the few pictures I managed to take.



Until next time



Quote for Today
“I get up every morning determined to both change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult” -E.B. White

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.