Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Rosie Lunging



Because of our ridiculous weather, the indoor has been snowed/iced-in and I haven’t been able to get down there to do much with Rosie.  With this recent thaw, I’m hopeful the weather is on the turn and heading for more Spring-like weather and we can get into a routine. The snow is almost all melted and the footing wasn’t too bad so I took her out for a quick lunging session. Rosie did really well with all her cues and seems to like to work.

Before the snow, I was able to get her down to the indoor to get her accustomed to it.  She seemed interested and a little up, so we had to stop a few times and let her look around.  It’s hard to get a horse not knowing much about their background.  I have no idea if she’s ever been in an indoor, but she took it in stride--except for a few “Uh-oh, what’s that!” moments, on the whole she did very well. 

But the delays caused by the weather aren't such a problem in the big picture.  I decided when I got Rosie that I would take my time with her and let her get adjusted at her own pace.  So far everything we’ve done with her has been working toward giving her a good experience with us.  Our way of thinking is, it doesn’t matter how long it takes to let her acclimate to her new surroundings as long as she’s happy and she has nothing but good experiences.  So in that department we’re pretty happy with how things are going.  She’s getting the hang of the barn routine and fitting in better than she did in the beginning. Riding will eventually just be another part of that routine.

The one thing she does that puts a smile on my face is that whenever I go out to the fence line she will stop what she’s doing (eating) and walk over to greet me.  So I think she likes it here, although, it could be she’s thinking I might have treats in my pocket…







Quote for Today
 A horse is poetry in motion.

22 comments:

  1. You have NO snow (slight envy) and such a pretty little chestnut!
    My theory, it never hurts to carry cookies. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last of the snow melted today! Yeah! Thanks, I think she's a pretty girl too.

      Delete
  2. Well...do you? (Have treats in your pocket?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Most times I don't but then again there have been times I do. Who knows, I prefer to think she likes me for myself...

      Delete
    2. Ah! Intermittent reinforcement, then. ;-)

      Delete
  3. She's lovely. What a kind, relaxed face :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughtful approach with Rosie. She is a pretty girl! I look forward to hearing more as your bond continues growing. Your tree enhanced place is so beautiful, in any weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks aurora. I can't wait to start working with her on a regular basis. She seems to want to be with people more than the horses. I get the feeling she's looking for her person.

      Delete
  5. Rosie's looking good :) what a gorgeous girl. I like your philosophy that it doesn't matter how long it takes, you'll get there when you get there. Aw, I'm sure she loves you for you, but aren't all our animal friends like that, ever hopeful for something to eat? Come to think of it, that pretty much describes me too!!
    High time you see the last of all that snow. I thought we were heading for spring here but we've got a possible prolonged cold snap on the way, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, good to hear from you. It was actually 80 here yesterday but today its 30 and raining. Go figure. Crazy weather all over the globe. Hope you warm up too. And,yes, I'll follow someone for an ice cream treat!

      Delete
  6. Aww, she’s so pretty! Of course, she likes it there! She hit the jackpot of horse homes. I sure hope your warming trend continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I do think she likes it here except for "some" of the stupid boys. The weather is always a wild card this time of year but I've got my fingers crossed for warmer dryer days!

      Delete
  7. I love your thoughts on working with Rosie. Take your time, do it right and both of you can enjoy the journey. We have been without snow for over a week and are in a muddy stage. Of course by saying that, we will get a blizzard. By the way, I really appreciate all of your visits to my Journal. Now you know everything about me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I enjoy your journal. I don’t know how you do all your activities but you sure seem to be busy everyday. I could never keep up with you! Fingers crossed for no more snow but plenty of sunshine. We need to dry up the mud too.

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty gal! I agree with the crummy weather. Though the snow is melting here in West Virginia, the rain has hung around for nearly two weeks now. The ground is so soft and squishy you pretty much tear up anything you try and ride on. That said, hopefully it IS sign that Spring is coming and warmer months ahead! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve had rain for days too. Lots of mud! Would be nice to see the sun for a change.

      Delete
  9. She's a beautiful mare. Sounds like you're enjoying your time together building a relationship. I totally agree...doesn't matter how long it takes, just that it's good. I'll bet you'll be riding her before you know it!

    On the weather front - we had our first snow of the season about a week ago. Can you believe it? And after the first half of February felt just like spring! I am so done with winter...the forecast is for more cold, wet, possible wintry mix. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow! That doesn’t sound like much fun. We had one day at 84 and then down to 30’s again. So it’s big swings temps wise and the rain is never ending recently.

      I used to be very impatient about getting things done but I’ve mellowed and come to my senses with age. Nothing is more important to me than having a horse who trusts me and looks to me for guidance and good experiences.

      Delete
  10. I am really hoping that the weather has turned for warmer forever! She looks like she is doing great and I agree that slow and steady is the way to go when you are working on a forever horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping the weather stays reasonable so I can work more with Rosie. She’s very sensible and likes to have a job. So I’m in no hurry to add a lot of extra stuff right now until we know each other better.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.