Saturday, January 10, 2015

A New Addition To The Farm




On December 30 my daughter was driving home from work when the car in front of her swerved into the other lane to avoid something in the road.  She realized it was a puppy and stopped, put her flashers on and got out of the car to pick him up so a car wouldn’t hit him.  Some cars behind her stopped and a woman got out to help her.  She noticed a grown dog in the woods on the side of the road and tried to reach that dog too but it ran away.  After she got the pup in the car she knocked on a few doors and asked if anyone knew who the puppy belonged to but no one did.  Since it was getting dark she took him home with her.
 
No leash yet but a scarf will do in a pinch

His first night out of the woods and cold weather

The next day, New Year’s Eve, she brought him to our vet to have him checked out.  The vet thinks he’s about 10 weeks old.  He was covered in mud and ticks and was very thin.  He has a bit of a head tilt and the vet thinks it likely a car hit him.  The vet called the dog warden because that’s the rule when you find a pup.  They kept him at the clinic for further tests for two nights and my daughter visited him each day to play with him.  He loves belly rubs by the way.
 
At the clinic sleeping like a baby after a therapeutic belly rub
When his time was up at the clinic the warden took him home with her. There is a certain time frame that they need to keep found puppies to make sure they’re not stolen or the owners don’t want them back. The warden was given three other puppies from this litter that were found on Christmas Eve on the same highway. Seems the heartless   “loving” owners didn’t want any of the puppies back that they let loose to fend for themselves.  They’ve all since found good loving homes. 
 
Snuggling with his sister at the dog wardens
After the allotted time my daughter was allowed to adopt this cute little guy. She hasn’t even thought of getting another dog since her Molly died a few years ago.  Molly was a rescue dog and my daughter always said when the time was right she would get another rescue but the dog would have to find her or pick her like Molly did.  I think this little guy fits the criteria perfectly. 
 
On his way home!
The best we can figure is this poor little guy was fending for himself out in the cold and the woods for a week after his brothers and sisters were found.  He’s tough to have survived.  He might have had some help from the adult dog who we found out was his father, the one my daughter saw running away in the woods.  So dad was most likely helping to keep him alive. We’ve learned that the mom is a Labrador and dad is a Great Pyrenees.  Looks like this little guy takes after dad.
 
Settling In


Gunnar likes to spend his free time relaxing on the couch watching TV

I think his favorite show is "Lucky Dog Ranch"

He’s very sweet and happy but a little shy sometimes.  Who can blame him?  My daughter named him Gunnar.  The  name means “warrior.”  Gunnar had to be a little warrior and adventurer to survive in the woods and on the roads for so long by himself.  

Quote for Today
Oh the saddest of sights in a world of sin
is the little lost pup with his tail tucked in.

Arthur Guiterman

41 comments:

  1. What a cutie! I'm so glad that you saved him. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very cute and loveable. I'm glad my daughter found him and he found her.

      Delete
  2. A happy ending for everyone! Gunnar is gorgeous. Looks like he's going to be a big snuggle bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wolfie. He is pretty cute and likes to be snuggly.

      Delete
  3. God bless your daughter. Gunnar was truly meant to be for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gunnar is adorable! So happy he's joined your family :) Keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad there was a happy ending for so many of those puppies. I see a big, white fluffy puppy, and i think PILLOW! I pretend my dogs are pillows, but I don't put the whole weight of my head on them, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they all found homes too. He's more of a lay on you type of guy not the other way around. He looks bigger in the pictures than he actually is, must be the cell phone close ups.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet pup - so lovely that your daughter managed to rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gunnar! That sounds very Swedish to me. He is beautiful and very lucky to have found such a good home. So glad that your daughter found him and that he and the other pups are safe. Any news on the father?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Gunnar has some connection with Norse names.

      The father had a collar on so I'm assuming he went home at some point. The authorities know who the owners are so I'm sure they checked it out by now.

      Delete
  8. What a little sweetie pie!...Soon to be a BIG sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet thought he might grow to be 110 pounds. We'll have to wait and see.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes things are meant to happen. He's beautiful - I'm so glad he has a chance at a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that things happen for a reason and they were meant to find each other.

      Delete
  10. Lucky pup to find J for a friend and lifelong advocate!! I love that she waited and Gunnar came along when the time was just right. And glad the other pups found homes too. Hope you are all well and happy in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like they found each other when the time was right. Hope 2015 is a great year for everyone at November Hill too.

      Delete
  11. I'll never understand people that abandon animals...since the authorities know the _______ I hope there are repercussions. Glad Gunnar found a family with a big heart, and the siblings found homes as well!! Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about your daughters new fluff ball of love. Grand pups are so wonderfully fun to spoil. We live with one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't understand the cruelty of people either. If you don't want or can't care for a litter of pups they could have taken them to a shelter to be adopted. I'll keep everyone posted on the pup.

      Delete
  12. Great story! I guess your daughter knew there would be another dog in her future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never doubted she would have another dog in her life it was just a matter of time and the right circumstances. She comes from a long line of animal lovers!

      Delete
  13. what a sweet puppy - glad he found you and your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Their loss, looks like you've got a great dog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a total cutie!! Love his name - very apt, considering what he's already been through, poor baby. I am so glad your daughter found him and he found her. And I am glad for the happy ending (continuing?), not just for him but for his siblings too. I like that his dad was around to help him out - puts those idiot 'owners' to shame. I cannot believe that people (and I use the term loosely) can do such a completely senseless thing - if you don't want the puppies, take them to a home, don't abandon them like that!! Makes me so angry ...

    Please keep us updated on Gunnar's progress, and thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who shirk their responsibilities makes me very angry too. I'll definitely update about the cutie soon.

      Delete
  16. Gunnar is adorable and one lucky pup. May he have a happy and long life in what is certainly a loving home. So glad to hear the rest of his littermates are safe as well. God was looking out for that little family. I have a feeling he's not going to be shy forever. Bless your daughter and please, keep us posted as he grows up to be the mighty warrior destiny demands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. He's getting more friendly and clinging to my daughter everyday. He follows her everywhere.

      Delete
  17. Awww he's adorable!! Congrats on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was meant to be! And Gunnar is such a lucky guy to be part of your great family. He'll be big enough to not get stepped on by any horses, and Great Pyranees are protectors against coyotes and bobcats. A perfect fit for your farm. Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. He's a little sweetheart. And we love him.

      Delete
  19. What a great story and happy ending. Totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks he makes everyone happy. He's such a sweetheart.

      Delete
  20. He is absolutely gorgeous! I get so disappointed in people lately but then there are those like your daughter who renew my faith. Great name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks he is pretty cute. I like what she named him too.

      Delete
  21. OMG. Can I have him!? He is so supper cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.