Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why I Fell In Love With My Horse

" Erik "




Jane over at The Literary Horse has done a post suggesting that we might want to tell a story about why we fell in love with our horses as a Valentine's Day post.  Truthfully, I didn’t know who to do a story on because I love all the horses in the herd and each one is special for a different reason, it’s hard to pick just one.

I’ve always loved Erik best.  He was the horse of my heart, but he’s gone now so it’s probably not relevant anymore why I fell in love with him to anyone but me.  In the spirit of remembrance, I’ll give one quick incident that always makes me smile when thinking of Erik.

He was a young horse at the time, just starting his training.  I’d had him for a few months and my trainer had taken him to a show to get him used to seeing new things.  The trainer was in the schooling ring, I was down the hill under a grove of trees talking with some friends quite a distance away from the ring.  The banner on the fence flapped, Erik spooked and dumped the trainer.  He then made a beeline for the gate tossing his head high in the air so no one could grab his bridle.  Once out of the ring he stood surveying the grounds and spotted me under the trees.  He galloped full speed down the hill right to me, stopped short and stuck his head under my arm.  Erik was scared and wanted me to comfort him.  My heart went out to him when I realized I was his person and he trusted me to take care of him and save him from the scary monsters at the show.

I think I’ll leave it at that because this would be way too long to go into each horse’s story.  I do love all the horses in the herd, each one has a different personality and endearing qualities that would make anyone love them.

The herd would like to wish all the horses and their humans a Happy Valentine’s Day.

Until next time

Quote for Today
The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being...If you never love a horse, you will never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.