Saturday, November 11, 2017

And So...

 Well, I finally rode last Saturday.  In fact, I rode two horses.  My daughter and I took the ferry across Long Island Sound to visit an old friend of ours on Long Island, N.Y.  We’ve known her for over thirty years. She has a sale barn that she has owned and sold horses successfully from for decades. My daughter used to work for her in her teen years, helping to train the horses that came in, and over the years we've also found quite a few of our future herd members in her stable. Recently, I contacted her to see if she had anything that might suit my criteria: calm, not spooky, trained in the basics, solid at the mounting block, etc..

     It just so happened she had gotten a horse in off a lease that was perfect for me. A handsome warmblood/paint, he was a kind, well-trained, and quiet gentleman.  So I decided to go down and give him a look.  Our friend has an uncanny ability to match horse and rider with great success.  I saddled him and took a ride around the arena. This wonderful horse was everything she said he would be.  The only problem I had with him was that he was just a little bigger than I wanted.  Even though I used to ride a 17.2hh Dutch Warmblood for years, then a 16.2hh paint, I felt that at this time in my life I would be more comfortable with a smaller horse.  So sorry to say I had to pass on him, although I’m sure he would have been a good addition to our herd.

     There was another horse I had seen on her website that I liked, though I wasn't sure she'd be a good match.  An 11 year old chestnut quarter horse mare out of the Zippo Pine Bar line named Good Bar Rosita.  As long as we'd made the trip, we decided to tack her up and take a look. I took her to the mounting block where she stood like a statue, something I was impressed with after all of Dusty’s antics.  Once I easily mounted up and rode her around for a while I knew she was the one I wanted.  Comfortable, quiet, and listening to cues like a pro.  I fell in love with her.  She is smart, willing, and very sweet.  I decided to talk it over with my daughter on the way home instead of committing then and there as I wanted to get her opinion on Rosie before making the deal. My daughter is an experienced trainer with a good eye for conformation and great sense of a horse's general demeanor.  She thought she was a good match for me and that we fit well together.  I decided to go for it.

     Rosie arrived here at the farm Thursday.  She unloaded and walked to her new stall without a fuss and after taking a look around started chowing down on her hay.  After letting her settle in for a bit we took her out to the small paddock to let her graze for a while.  She could see the boys across the driveway over the fence.  After some requisite snorting and cantering she settled down for some grazing and a nice roll.  The boys were very interested in this new horse.  They are a quiet, well-behaved herd and mostly nickered a little and looked at her.  When they got bored they all left for the back fields and Rosie got a little silly, calling for them and running a bit.  We took her in and then got the boys in too since it was close to dark by then.  That was the first day and it seemed to go pretty well for all.

Quote for Today
A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words.  ~Beryl Markham

Here are some pictures of Rosie and her admirers:



"What do ya think Donnie?"  " Nice mover!"


Grady..." I'll just admire from afar"



Sami..." She looks nice right Donnie"

24 comments:

  1. She's a beauty, and so lucky to be part of your herd! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! She's beautiful with such a sweet eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she is lovely. I do love QHs-they are often so nice and sensible and sweet. I am sure that she approved of the new digs- they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, she seems to be taking it all in stride.

      Delete
  4. OMG! I bought a little ceramic pony and you went and got the real thing!! :) She is gorgeous! I am over the moon looking at the photos of Rosie in her new and wonderful home and also all the boys looking on. What a herd, and now you have a big splash of red in there to spice things up. I also have to tell you she and Cody are “cousins.” I need to take a good new photo of him so you can see how much they resemble one another. Can’t wait to read about your first rides on the farm with beautiful Rosie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie! I sort of surprised myself that I got her. She was just so well behaved and comfy and sweet. I fell in love with her. I know next to nothing about bloodlines but I’m glad to hear you have a cousin who is also a sweetheart. More updates to come!

      Delete
  5. A new horse! A new horse! You got A New HORSE!!!
    SO excited for you GHM! (Does it show?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs.Shoes! I’m pretty excited too. Could hardly sleep the night before she came. Like a little kid at Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the new family member. May you have many wonderful rides together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NuzMuz! I have a feeling we’ll have a lot of fun once she settles in.

      Delete
  7. Oh, she's beautiful!! She reminds me of our rock solid Penny. The boys' expression is priceless. I get the impression she's going to be their leader and have them wrapped around her finger. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Not paying too much attention to the boys so far. They’re very interested though.

      Delete
    2. That's funny. It shows a leader's spirit. I like those kind. The pictures are so beautiful. Take lots more.

      Delete
    3. Will do. I have lots of pics but can't put so many up at once.

      Delete
  8. She's beautiful. In my humble opinion, you just can't do better than a good, sensible mare...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I agree, she’s just wonderful.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! She's so gorgeous!!! And sounds amazing. Congratulations, how exciting! Love the photos of the guys watching her not really watching them ;) Looking forward to hearing more of Rosie and your adventures together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It's exciting to get a new horse and interact with her.

      Delete
  10. Rosie is beautiful!! I am SO happy you found another horse to love! Hope you'll share what you know of her past. I always find the history so interesting, not just with animals but land, buildings etc. We are after all just caretakers. She is one lucky mare! Looking forward to seeing you two grow in partnership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks aurora! I think she's beautiful too. There isn't a whole lot I know of her past except that she had some western training at some point because she does the jog trot. I do know that she was born in Minnesota and her papers say she has the Zippo Pine Bar a few ancestors back. I'm looking forward to working with her and forming a partnership. I love her already, she's very sweet and calm and a pleasure to ride.

      Delete
  11. I knew her when she was in MN and had the opportunity to ride her quite a few times. Loved this horse!!! She is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you. I’d love to have more information on what she’s done in the past. She is a sweetheart.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.