Saturday, January 14, 2017

A Conversation With Blue

"Well there she goes, I wonder what I just got myself into"



I’d like to thank everyone for their advice and opinions on my previous post “A Dilemma.”  I appreciate your input and will definitely take it under advisement.

Blue and I went for a hand walk today and I decided to use the time constructively to see where his head is at before I start back riding him. So, we had a little chat about things in general, and riding in particular. I've paraphrased the gist of it below. (and no, I haven't been drinking ;-) It went something like this:

“So how have you been feeling lately, Mr. Blue?”


“Eh, I’m alright. But, uh, why are we walking around doing nothing when I could be eating a hay net right now?”


“Well, I thought we could spend a little quality time together. And I'd like to come up with a decision once and for all about you and I working together.”


“Why would we have to come to a decision? I’m here, and you ride when you feel like it. As long as you keep it short, it sort of breaks up the boredom of, you know, putting up with the these idiots." At this point he tossed his head toward the herd, and I knew what he meant. Blue doesn't have a lot of patience for his fellow horse. I can relate sometimes... 


“Blue, you’re the best." I love Blue's casual attitude toward life. Very little seems to ruffle his feathers, and he just goes with the flow. It must be nice... "I just don’t want to ask you to work if you’re in any kind of discomfort.”


“Oh, don't worry. If I’m not feeling up to par that day, you'll know it.”


That sounded a little more ominous than I liked to hear. “That's fair. I noticed that you’ve been favoring that left front lately. What’s up with that?”


“Well! When you so rudely pulled my shoes for the winter, I bruised my tender little foot."
The one thing Blue is not tough or casual about is discomfort. And this is the first time Blue has gone shoeless.

 "Poor Blue! How did that happen?" I tried to sympathize.

"The night I had my shoes pulled, I came galloping up for my dinner on the frozen ground. And it hurt."


“I see." Go figure. "But it feels better now?”


"I guess."


"And no more galloping?"
"No."


“Good thinking. One other thing I wanted to talk to you about.”

“UH, HUH?”


I have to remind myself here what a good horse Blue is, even though he's a pain in the neck. “I think we should continue these half hour walks so you can get in shape before we start riding again.”


“So I can get in shape? What about those extra holiday pounds you’re carrying? You’re no picnic to lug around.”


“That’s why I’m walking with you." Being a sarcastic smartass is just one of his many charms. But I've commented on his weight more than a few times, so I guess I kinda asked for it. "Is it a deal?”


Big sigh. “Fine. It’s a deal. Now can I go back to my hay net?”


“Sure, but try to come up for air once in a while, huh?”


“Back at ya.”


We're totally off to a great start.

Quote for Today 
Give a horse what he needs and he will give you his heart in return

14 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like everything is going to work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good conversation! I have those all the time and alcohol is not involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And what a terrific way to get back in gear for riding. Once when I first had Keil Bay and he was settling into his new boarding barn I wanted to ride dressage tests in the rarely used grass arena there. It was next to the woods and he was SO spooky I realized we would both be battling anxiety regularly if I tried to ride there, so we dd our riding in the regular fenced arena and I also took him in hand to the dressage arena we did the tests in hand. I think he was so surprised that I was on the ground doing the tests WITH him he forgot to be scared of the forest. It was a good way to build our partnership while he settled in and I got used to riding him. A few weeks of that and all was well. Enjoy and keep us posted on Blue's ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're doing something similar down here, but Val and I have agreed not to mention the state of each other's fluffiness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how he talks back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, what a sweet way to start back with him--listening. I wonder if the left front foot is the most common for horses to favor because both Cowboy and Leah have issues with theirs. Of course, Cowboy broke his--so I'm wondering, are they more careless with that one? Perhaps the right Lead is more dominant and they don't have the same hoof precision with the left. Enjoy your walks with Blue. They are the best "training".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Riding or walking, you will both feel better having just spent time together. How wonderful! Blue is such a handsome fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your conversation with us :) Blue is such a great character, I'm sure you're both going to have such fun spending time together, be it riding or walking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking is a great way to bond. Koda & I would both benefit from more of it. I like how you two are in tune with each other!! I am just catching up on blogs, off to read about "a dilemma".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog. Lots of interesting horsey things to think about. I’ll be back soon horsesofsweden.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this conversation. Blue does have some pretty strong opinions, of course, but he certainly has a nice, laid back personality. He's a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this post. The best conversation ever!!! Blue is so handsome and smart. The best company:)
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.