Friday, September 11, 2009

Autumn


 Autumn
 Autumn is upon us. The hot humid days of summer are a memory.  The flies and mosquitoes have mostly disappeared to wherever they hide out in the cooler months. For me this is the best season of the year and the best time for riding.  There is nothing as exhilarating as feeling the clear, crisp air smooth the worries from my mind and the gentle breeze ruffling my horse’s mane as brilliant blue skies accompany us on our rides.  Autumn is the time of year nature puts on her most dazzling of shows in a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors, putting me in high spirits simply to be a small part of this splendid landscape.  The horses and I have more energy and it seems time slows down yet more chores are accomplished. Granted the daylight hours fade earlier each day, but I feel this gives us more time to relax and enjoy special moments. 
The season brings back childhood memories of picking pumpkins and apples.  A first bite into a crunchy, ripe apple of the season is a wonderful mixture of tart and sweet on the tongue, evoking moments of times past, as is the scent of curling smoke from chimneys left dormant in the summer months.  Walking on a deserted beach listening to the rolling surf or sitting on the dunes watching a sunset at day’s end brings the promise of new stages being set for the bright days ahead. 
Below is one of my much-loved poems, I hope you get as much pleasure from it as I do.
Thoughts
by Jacqueline Bouvier
I love the Autumn,
And yet I cannot say
All the thoughts and things
That make one feel this way.
I love walking on the angry shore,
To watch the angry sea;
Where summer people were before,
But now there's only me.
I love wood fires at night
That have a ruddy glow.
I stare at the flames
And think of long ago.
I love the feeling down inside me
That says to run away
To come and be a gypsy
And laugh the gypsy way.
The tangy taste of apples,
The snowy mist at morn,
The wanderlust inside you
When you hear the huntsman's horn.
Nostalgia - that's the Autumn,
Dreaming through September
Just a million lovely things I always will remember.
-1943

 Until next time

Quote for Today
 
As the wind swept over the saddle, it turned to a mixture of bright colors and painted the world.
    - Ronan Warriors


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.