Friday, May 24, 2019

A REVIEW ON GRAZING MUZZLES


It’s probably about time I did a review on the grazing muzzles we purchased and have been using for some of the chubbier herd members.  The grazing muzzle we thought would work the best is Harmany Muzzle.
 

Here is part of the ad for Harmany Muzzles:

"The Harmany Muzzle is designed to be open and airy, allowing better ventilation for the horse while still slowing his forage intake. Instead of nylon webbing which can absorb moisture and then mold or mildew, the Harmany muzzle is a medical-grade plastic containing kevlar fibers: the plastic will not splinter or snap to produce sharp edges (though horses can eventually chew through it like a conventional muzzle — Dr. Harman is looking into solutions for that problem.) At the end of the day, the entire muzzle can be hosed down or washed with soap and water and easily dried: no more worries about your horse breathing in mold!”  

Here are some pictures of Blue & Sami with their muzzles when they were new a while ago:                                                                                                  
 


They don’t wear them everyday just mostly in the Spring or when it looks like a few less calories might be needed. Even though they are lighter and airier than the traditional nylon and rubber bucket-like muzzles, personally, I don’t think they work as well. 

We adjusted them correctly for each horse and they seem to be able to get out of them relatively easily.  A few weeks ago Blue came in and was sporting it underneath his chin, modeling the latest fashion in "muzzle wear." He somehow got it down so he could get his full share of the grass.  Rosie came in one day with it wedged between her upper lip and gums.  That was painful looking and interesting extricating her from it. Good thing she’s a calm mare and let me help her. Now for Sami, he rarely gets himself in trouble and is basically a gentle guy but he managed to come in with a broken muzzle too.

Now for the pictures:

I didn’t get one of Rosie because my first thought was to help her get this mess out of her mouth.

Sami’s I just hung on the door after getting it off him:

The one side completely cracked off this muzzle leaving sharp edges which I wasn't thrilled about.




However, I did get a few pictures of Blue as he was standing in the paddock shortly after I turned him out and giving me a look as if to say “ Do you see this piece of crap and what are you going to do about it!” 


" I can't believe this happened, it was my favorite!"

" Mr. Innocent"


Kevlar my A$$! It might stop a bullet but Blue is going to need something a lot tougher!
To be fair while I was lunging Rosie in the top ring I did spy him grinding it on the huge salt block we have in the paddock. I'll give it a slight benefit of the doubt maybe that might account for the breakage.  If he didn’t grind it on the block he would have figured something else out.  I have no idea how Sami's broke but I know he wasn't abusing it.  The point is that I don’t think they’re very sturdy and they're not cheap in price either. 




So for now it’s back to the bucket muzzles as I call them. Rosie looks thrilled doesn’t she.  We have to convince Sami every morning that it's a good idea to get his on. He doesn't agree but luckily his good buddy Hanz helps him take it off once in a while by pulling at the velcro fasteners and leaving it in the fields for the muzzle and fly mask search parties…

Quote for Today
Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less and smile a little more.
 

14 comments:

  1. I certainly hope you sent them back for a refund!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I can't now I don't have the packaging or the invoice anymore. We've had them for a while. I'll just never buy them again. I don't think they'd take them back now without the original order forms and whatnot.

      Delete
  2. Good to know. I was considering switching to these. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could always try one out, they might work better for your guy.

      Delete
  3. I have been tempted to get some for my herd, but I always put it off because I just can’t picture it working for mine for the same reasons this one failed. Every time I buy anything, they find a way out of it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seemed fine for a while but Blue has a way of trashing everything so its hard to go by him. But Rosie and Sami are much gentler on things so they shouldn't have had a problem. I think the stress point is just defective.

      Delete
  4. Wow. they did not work as advertised! I have been able to avoid using a muzzle but if I do go that route I will definitely avoid those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too happy with them but they might work for other horses. I just wouldn't buy them again.

      Delete
  5. I’m so glad you posted this. We have the old basket style as well and I have been thinking of ordering these but won’t after seeing what they look like after being used! Thinline is promoting a new muzzle that is clear plastic but looks to me like it covers the nostrils and though lightweight I just don’t like the way it looks and attaches. I wish there were some kind of soft, breathable, lightweight muzzle that allowed comfort and mobility but just not the grass in huge amounts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was something that worked and was light weight too. I'm sure someday someone will figure it out and invent a perfect grazing muzzle. Until then we're stuck with what's available :(

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review. They looked promising, but clearly not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were worth a try but they didn't work out for us.

      Delete
  7. I will say, I have been really happy with my greenguard muzzle for May. She wears it in turnout basically year round, and each one lasts me about a year. (after a year, she basically wears through them, but they don't break apart and splinter like this).

    I was tempted by the thinlines ones, but after reading other reviews, I know she will just rip that one to shreds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I am giving them a try on my little mustang and one of my donkeys. However, I have already messed up by overheating the mustang's. If these do not work (and boy did I have a heck of a time putting them on their halters), I am going back to the tough one breathe free. They only last 1 season or so, but they CAN breathe in them, and they are easy. Plus they are not nearly as expensive.

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.