Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Rosie Update


" So I'm a working girl again this morning?  Well, okay but don't forget the treats!"


It’s been a while since I’ve posted. We’ve been busy with barn and property projects.  The horses are all doing well.  Rosie and I have been doing some training and hopefully forging a relationship with each other. 

Rosie is a very willing and talented gal. There’s rarely a time she refuses what is asked of her except when she doesn’t understand the cue.  Then she just stops and we figure a way to let her know what I want.  Once the light bulb goes on, she’s fine and we continue on with the lesson.  

At first anytime I took a slight contact with her mouth she would stop, so I assumed her previous training required her to go with no contact whatsoever and we rode on the buckle for a while and gradually inched up the reins in subsequent lessons.  Now she can be ridden with a light following contact.  We’ve done a lot of walking and circles with a gentle opening inside rein to teach her how to bend and use her body properly.  I know some people subscribe to the training principle of pulling the horses head around to their side and think the horse will then learn how to bend.  I’ve actually been at one barn where they tied the horse’s head to his tail overnight thinking that would do the trick.  It doesn’t and it’s cruel. I’m more about starting with a soft flexion at the poll and letting the rest follow, so that’s what we’ve been working on.

Asking her to trot at first produced a western jog and we figured out that a second pressure from my legs would get a response and a smoother more flowing trot.  I recently found out that she was a western pleasure horse.  So it’s taken some time with her figuring out what her way of going was previously like and how to change it gradually so she understands what I’m asking. Everything we’ve done together so far is designed to reteach her to my way of riding and not to cause her any stress.  I’ve tried to make each teaching moment a good experience and so far I’d say we’ve achieved that. 

We’ve done a lot of groundwork on the longe and she’s learning how to open up her stride and loosen her musculature.  The other day we free longed for the first time and that went pretty well.  She even cantered a bit and looked great.

Small steps and gradual understanding of each other is our way of getting to know each other.  It doesn’t matter how long it takes. It may sound impractical to some but I believe in letting it take as long as it takes to have a happy well adjusted horse who is willing to work with me. And for both of us to enjoy our time spent together.  I’m happy to report that Rosie will now groom me back while I’m grooming her and she will let me kiss her nose and hug her.

Quote for Today
If the horse does not enjoy her work, her rider will have no joy.

24 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gave us an update. She definitely sounds like a western pleasure horse, but I'm sure she's smart enough to figure out what you want and how you communicate. I'm totally in agreement about taking your time! That getting to know each other is so important. I love that she's mutual grooming you. Sounds like you got a golden one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. She’s a very sweet horse and I think she likes the attention I give her. I get the feeling she’s sort of looking for her person to be close to and someone she can count on to be fair with her and respect her.

      Delete
  2. I've seen the tying the horse to the tail or to the stirrup. It makes me so very sad. I love that you are working with Rosie to figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. We’re figuring it out together. I enjoy working with her.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update! Rosie seems to be a very good horse for you. Did you have a cool day? It has been so hot here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, she is a good horse for me. Actually, she’s just exactly the horse I wanted and needed at this time. Safe and sane. We were not too bad today, only in the low 80’s, nothing like the 95 of yesterday!

      Delete
  4. She sounds absolutely lovely and I love your approach to (re)training her. Gotta love a horse who just stops when she doesn't understand. My horse Surprise did this too in the first months after backing and still does occasionally. You mention your methods taking as much time as needed, but I bet they save time in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does save time in the end too. I like that she stops and asks questions when she’s confused instead of resisting somnething new and is willing to learn.

      Delete
  5. Sounds so much like what we did with Cody when he first came! Glad she is doing well and you’re having fun with her. She sounds like a sweetheart! And glad all else is good too. Love seeing her photo. What a beauty she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks billie. She is a sweetheart. i wasn’t sure at my age if another horse was a good idea but it’s turning out really well and I’m so glad I got her.

      Delete
  6. Love that everything is going so well with Rosie, you two are already becoming a team! I am sure she appreciates your kind approach. Re-training sounds challenging, especially if a horse has a lot of buttons. Rosie is breezing through it tho, smart girl! I hear you on the projects, there is always sooo much to do. Keeps us healthier & on the move. Do your dogs "help out" in the barn? I haven't decided if ours are helpful, or more work. Pretty sure it's the latter, but either way they are good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-training probably isn’t as challenging as it might sound. It just takes time and patience and understanding. She’s a good girl and willing to learn so that’s half the battle. And yes my canine assistants do help out in the barn by constantly getting under my feet, chasing the broom while sweeping,spilling their water dish on a regular basis, getting filthy dirty, helping the horses clean up the feed they drop etc. but they are company then again so is the radio 😏

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad she's working well for you. She's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she’s a good girl. Hope you’re doing better.

      Delete
  8. Great job you two! If you ask me, the way you're going is the ONLY way of going. If instruction with understanding is your goal, you and Rosie are right on! For me, spending time with my horse doing whatever it is we're doing is more fully enjoyed because there are no time constraints involved. Whoever said that we're on a timeline anyway? Rosie sounds like a very reasonable mare and she's lucky to have a momma who's just the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori,
      For me its all about having a good foundation and no pressure. We'll get there when we get there.

      Delete
  9. I agree with you for sure; good partnerships (like marriages) take time to build & maintain if both parties are to be happy. Rosie is a total cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Mrs. Shoes, she is a total cutie pie!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like things are going well!! It must be interesting to retrain a western pleasure horse since they teach the exact opposite of everything you want. She's lucky to have such a kind and patient owner/trainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not as hard as it might sound to switch disciplines. Just takes time and she’s a smart willing student. It’s fun and gratifying when she gets it. She’s very proud of herself too. 😊

      Delete
  11. What a lucky girl to have you - her face is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we're lucky to have found each other.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely update! What a beauty she is. Great that you've both gelled as you have and she's so willing to learn :) I love your approach of not working to a timetable, wish more had the same outlook. Looking forward to more updates.
    And Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! We’re working on it slowly but surely.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.