Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Harmany Muzzle

"Sami" The Perfect Model"

" Does this make me look silly, are the guys going to make fun of me"

"Are you kidding me...what is this contraption anyway!"

We recently purchased the Harmany Muzzle to prevent Blue and Sami from ingesting too much grass while grazing.  They are the two horses here who need it most.  We attached them to their halters today to see how they would do with them and put them in the small grass paddock by the barn so we can keep an eye on them.  The one concern we had was that they wouldn’t fit into the automatic waterers but Blue tested his out first thing and it does fit in the bowl easily and doesn’t get caught on the bottom of the rim which sort of sticks out a little.
" We really need to talk about this"

I think we still have to make adjustments with the fit so it will be a learning curve.  The muzzles can be shaped by heating them with hot water.  We decided to try these particular muzzles because they seem more lightweight and more adjustable to give a more custom fit as needed.  Another plus is they can be cleaned at the end of the day by rinsing them off under water.  So we’ll see how it goes and I’ll let you know what we think of them after a few weeks.  I’m interested to see how they hold up.  Blue is notorious for trashing grazing muzzles.  I can only hope he’s met his match with this one.




Here is part of the ad for Harmany Muzzles:

"The Harmany Muzzle is designed to be open and airy, allowing better ventilation for the horse while still slowing his forage intake. Instead of nylon webbing which can absorb moisture and then mold or mildew, the Harmany muzzle is a medical-grade plastic containing kevlar fibers: the plastic will not splinter or snap to produce sharp edges (though horses can eventually chew through it like a conventional muzzle — Dr. Harman is looking into solutions for that problem.) At the end of the day, the entire muzzle can be hosed down or washed with soap and water and easily dried: no more worries about your horse breathing in mold!" 
If you want to check it out for yourself here’s the website: http://www.harmanymuzzle.com/



Until next time

Quote for Today

Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.

9 comments:

  1. I've never seen one like this - I'll be very interested to read your later review. Sami & Blue can make anything look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sami and Blue counteract the Hannibal Lechter-ish look lol. Love today's quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, we don't need muzzles anymore, but I wish these were available when we did. We used something similar and they worked well, so I will be interested to see how these last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. Little Joe came with one, but I'm not sure the brand. I've never used one. It is a good compromise for the easy keepers. Keep us updated with how it works over the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! The look on Blue's face! Speaks volumes. Sami's owning the look though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I've never heard of these muzzles before. Looks like they aren't as big & bulky. We've never used them, but considered one for Koda. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen these and wondered how they might work - Sami is cute as a pie with his on but Blue looks slightly skeptical! LOL. Keep us posted. I have the regular basket ones here and use them only when desperately needed because they are so heavy and I worry about breathing issues. These Harmany ones are so much lighter looking. I'm going to check them out now - thinking this is Dr. Harman's creation? Will see. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a client horse who has a hard time with a traditional muzzle, but definitely needs *something*. I am going to recommend this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good option. They seem to be doing well with them.Sami got out of his the first day but then we used zip ties to secure it better. Twine would work too. Good luck.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.