Friday, September 23, 2016

Rollin’ On


Blue waiting for his after ride treat

Yesterday the nice people who picked Nate up and cremated him delivered his ashes to us. He will be buried next to Dusty as soon as we can get the backhoe attached to the tractor.

 
I’ve been busy around the farm mostly power washing the white vinyl fencing.  So far I’ve done about 40-50 sections front and back.  It’s not a hard job but time consuming and I usually wind up looking like a drowned rat when the breeze is blowing in the right or should I say wrong direction.  I despise this fence and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who has trees overhanging a fence. The sap seems to stick to it very well.

"Before"

"After"
 
Since we haven’t been riding for most of the summer we had an abundant crop of weeds spring up in the small arena.  It has taken hours and hours of dragging plus spraying with organic weed killer but I’ve made some headway and most of them are gone now.  I did have two helpers who were never done doing their impersonation of “road blocking cones” so I had to veer off and go in other directions.  Thanks for the help guys…


 
"Official Traffic Directors"

Ginger resting after a full day of playing with Gunnar and "helping out"

The chimney guys are almost done building the new fireplace. Our old one was pulling away from the house and needed to be replaced. It was ugly stucco and didn't go with the house which was built in 1750. So this is more in keeping with the period the house was built in.
"Before"

"After"

For some reason this past Monday I developed gout in my big toe.  Never had it before but I’m here to tell you it’s very painful.  Finally went to the doctor yesterday and he told me it’s usually developed from shellfish and alcohol.  Well, since nobody’s taken me out for a lobster dinner with wine lately, that’s not the cause.  I haven’t had an alcoholic beverage for a few months either.  It could be from dehydration, which is my bet since I didn’t drink enough water over the weekend.  When I start a project I usually keep going until it’s finished.  Note to self - drink more water. The doctor gave me heavy-duty anti-inflammatory pills, which must be taken with food, or they cause stomach upset etc.  No problem there!
I've spared you the pictures because my swollen toe looks ridiculous. 


The bright spot in all of this is I was able to ride Blue on Sunday.  We just walked around the indoor for a bit and reintroduced him to steering and bending. Blue is nineteen and he knows this but I think he likes to test me and see if I remember how to ask him correctly.  I do! We both had a nice ride for our first time back in a long while. He felt good and I felt good to be back in the saddle again.
 
A little graze and rinse off after his grueling ride

Off to find the herd



Until next time
Quote for Today
Feeling down?  Saddle up.  ~Author Unknown

34 comments:

  1. "Grueling" indeed! Glad you had a pleasant ride--though, really, aren't most of them by definition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree any time spent in the saddle is always better than time out of it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting about the vinyl fences. We had them down south, at Aspen Meadows, and they were very easy -- and we had no trees to speak of; certainly none hanging over the fencing. Here sap is an issue on the porch and the cars -- and would be on fencing, too. I hadn't thought of that. Glad we decided to stick with the existing wood. Blue looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some split rail fencing too and I only wish the whole farm had wood. I do like it much better.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're getting lots of stuff done around the farm. That's so odd about the gout, hopefully keeping hydrated keeps it away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope hydration is the answer. The doctor did say it's important.

      Delete
  4. Except for your gout episode, everything else seems good. I'm impressed with the job you did on the fencing. Can't imagine how long that will take with your huge pastures. I need to start riding again, while Berlin is still capable of hauling me around. Blue sure was a good boy for you. I absolutely love the pictures of the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Berlin would love to go for a ride.

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing the photos and the fence looks like brand new! The new chimney looks great too. I'm sorry about the gout - you made me laugh with the line about the lobster dinner and wine! - and I hope it's all gone very soon. You are inspiring me with your riding. It's time - we've had rain this week and now another day of 90 degrees but I'm thinking Sunday might be the day to do the same thing you did with Blue but with Keil Bay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a ride in. It's been a miserably hot summer but it should be nice riding now.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You've been pretty busy the last little while.
    Sorry to hear about the gout - but I am SO envious of that white fencing. It looks brand new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, got a lot more yo go before winter on the fence.

      Delete
  7. Get some concentrated cherry juice for the gout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - the clean fencing looks great - but if I remember from the pictures you've posted of your beautiful farm - you have miles of it. That's a huge job. Maybe you could con some local neighborhood kids a la Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. ;D

    Glad to hear you're getting some riding in. Good advice from Red Horse - sour cherry is proven to help with gout/arthritis symptoms. I think there are pills if you don't want to drink it. I put it into my smoothies. Take care of yourself! ♥︎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just picked some cherry juice up. Thanks.

      I tried the Tom Sawyer thing with my daughter ...it didn't work. I've tried to hire people but they don't want to do it either. I'll keep at it until someone takes pity on me. Yeah,right, like that might happen...

      Delete
  9. You've been busy! Glad you got some time in the saddle, despite your hurting toe. Your official traffic directors are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed riding this week because of this stupid toe. But last Sunday with Blue was fun. It's always nice to have helpers and they are cute.

      Delete
  10. The fence looks beautiful - you did a good job! I am sorry about the gout.
    I also have a aussie helper - much the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's seven months old now and I'm hoping she will calm down soon. So much more energy than I have.

      Delete
  11. Always feels good to get things accomplished - the fence looks great! Ooohh, sorry about your toe, sounds bad. :(
    But very happy to hear you got to ride again!! Now there's a great way to pick up your spirits. Your pooches are so adorable, and I'm just certain that they're such wonderful helpers ! Not! But looking cute's gotta count for something!

    Your house was built in 1750??? Oh my word, I don't think we have any buildings that old in this part of the country! How amazing!

    Another difference, your area is still looking like summer - we are all changing colors, leaves starting to fall and grass is greening up because mornings are back to being dew-covered and chilly. Although after a crisp cool start, we're supposed to be near 90 today. I'm loving this weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. The toe is feeling better. You're right it feels good to get something accomplished but then there's so much I haven't gotten too. The leaves are just starting to turn a little. I love these fall temps too.

      Delete
  12. I can't imagine how annoying it must be to clean the fence, but it really does look impressive when clean! I have a feeling that did not help your toe situation either. I am glad you had nice ride on Blue at least and I hope your toe stops hurting soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The toe feels much better,still looks like hell though. And yes that fence is my white whale. I don't think it will ever be done ;(

      Delete
  13. Sorry about your toe. It makes no sense why you got it. Dehydration is never good though. The tachycardia episodes I had were when I was dehydrated. You have an OLD house. It looks beautiful in the photos you post here and there. Glad you got some saddle time with Blue, despite your toe. He's a handsome guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Blue is a handsome guy and quite a character. He always makes e laugh.

      Delete
  14. Sending you healing thoughts/prayers for your toe! I can imagine how painful it must be having had the joys (not!) of cellulitis in my leg. Know what you mean though as I'm guilty of the same thing - I get started on something and I don't tend to take regular breaks. But yes, drink water, lots of it! Great work on the fence, it looks new.
    And you got to ride Blue :) I love Blue, he is such a gorgeous character.

    Wow! Your house is OLD!! Haven't seen it but I love it :) And thanks for the picture of Ginger and Gunnar, they're so cute. And so not-helpful ;)

    I love that your horses get to come back and stay home forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. The toe is better. This house is old but it's got some nice features like wide board floors and lots of exposed beams. Since it's so old it does need a lot of upkeep though.

      We feel fortunate that we can keep our horses and dogs here with us where they've lived for so long.

      Delete
  15. If you take a blood pressure med that has a name followed by HCTZ, that is the cause of the gout. You can get the same med without the HCTZ combo and the will fix the issue. This is very common. Otherwise....you are on track with the extra water and cherry juice Lisa G in TN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info Lisa. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  16. Sorry about your toe. I hope it heals up quick.

    The new chimney is awesome!! Also the fences look so much better. What a difference!

    I'm glad you're doing well, all things considered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been very absent from the blogosphere again, due to a health crises and surgeries; all ok now. But I'm very sorry about your losses of Nate and Dusty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope to see you posting again soon.

      Delete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.