Friday, November 28, 2014

The First Snow






We had our first snowfall on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving.  It was only about 6 -7 inches but it was enough to knock the power out.  I’m glad we have a generator for the house and one for the barn.  They are small but give just enough power to keep the heat and refrigerator and a light or two on in the house.  The barn kept popping breakers but we managed to get water buckets filled from the hose in the wash stall, because the automatic waterers weren’t working.  The power finally came back on Thursday night. 

Here are a few pictures of some very dirty horses.  I don’t know how they can still be this filthy. The minute there was enough snow on the ground they all had a good roll for themselves so some of this mud should have magically disappeared.  I’m sure I know what I can do to keep myself busy for the weekend if I feel like doing lots of grooming!


"Donnie"

"Blue"

"Grady"

"Dusty" who always manages to stay clean. Thank you Dusty.


"Maggie" my other clean girl. 



Until next time

Quote for Today
Grooming: the process by which the dirt on the horse is transferred to the groom.

11 comments:

  1. Your first snow is beautiful. Love that first shot. I have learned that light colored horses have a major attraction to mud. It never fails when it comes to Abbe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the barn looks so pretty in the snow!! and yay for mares that stay clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You come up with the best quotes. What a pain when waterer's don't work, thank goodness for backups. Your place is so pretty, complete with happy horses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing your farm and horses in the snow! Stay warm and I hope your Thanksgiving was delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first picture especially, and the last one could easily be Christmas cards, so beautiful. The girls stay clean because they're girls ;) The boys, on the other hand, remind me of 'Pig Pen' in the Charlie Brown comics! Hope the snow doesn't cause major disruptions for you. The weekend here is weirdly warm! Wonder when the snows are going to arrive ... Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your place looks like a winter wonderland :) The horses are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girls are smarter - QED!

    Hope everyone at your picture perfect farm had a lovely holiday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's hilarious that DUSTY is the one who stays NOT DUSTY a.k.a. clean. ;D The snow sure is pretty but that sucks about losing power. I hate losing power! I hope you were able to cook Thanksgiving dinner despite the snow! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had an inch or 2 that lasted 2 weeks. now we're getting rain - we're getting rain! I'm jealous of your snow (but not the power outage!), but rain is better than nothing! and oooooh our horses are ridiculously dirty! i'll have to get picture of them. :)
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have beautiful horses and a beautiful stable :)

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.