Sunday, October 5, 2014

Finally, A Ride






Well sort of a ride.  It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been able to saddle up a horse and actually get some time in the saddle.  Dusty got a thorough grooming which she seemed to enjoy.  Took quite a while to release all the burrs from her mega tail and mane and forelock.  She was even sporting a braided tail by the end of her session. 

As we walked outside and were making our way to the ring we noticed a group of people standing at the fence on the street. Well, what could we do, we had to go over and let them meet Miss Dusty.  It turned out it was our neighbors from diagonally across the street; a very nice man, his son and his father.  He had his toddler grandson with him and the little guy enjoyed meeting Dusty but wouldn’t touch her.  That’s understandable as she is much bigger than a dog or cat.  You could tell he wanted to pet her, but in his mind, better safe than sorry.

Then with an audience I proceeded to mount up figuring she’d most likely give me a hard time and make me look silly.  Wonders never cease and she was as good as gold, again, at the mounting block.  She’s starting to scare me with how well behaved she’s been lately.  Maybe she’s just figured out it’s easier to be good than difficult?  I hope so.

Dusty and I started walking down the long side and she didn’t feel right.  So after a few turns of direction and some small circles we concluded it was her left hind.  She’s a little lame and her ankle is a bit swollen.  We’ll see how she’s doing tomorrow. 

So even though I had a very short ride it was still great to be able to sit in a saddle and spend some time with her.  She may think this was a mounting lesson, which she passed with flying colors and was rewarded with carrots, apple slices and stud muffins.  That’s fine as long as we always end on a good note.

Until next time
Quote for Today

May the horse be with you.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, you really have a lot more fall color than we do! Just beautiful. I'm looking forward to getting a few rides in this month - June and October are my favorite riding months. Sounds like you had a nice time, regardless of the amount of time in the saddle. That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you got to spend some quality time with Dusty & enjoy the beautiful fall colors!! I am sure your neighbors appreciated meeting her. Hope her ankle get's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your fall leaves template. I'm glad you got to ride Dusty, and she was a sweetheart about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful day for a ride!! hope her ankle heals up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you fall colors are gorgeous!! I hope her ankle gets better quick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful background for your blog, and beautiful pictures, such gorgeous colours - suits Dusty :)

    So glad to hear you managed a ride, even if it was a short one. Maybe she prefers an audience? Glad she behaved though, and that you both had a good time. Hope her ankle is better soon. Looking forward to hearing about more rides. Love the quote, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures! It may have been a short ride, but I think it was a very good ride. Always great when you can finish on a good note, with a smile on your face. I think you hit the nail on the head; Miss Dusty has come to the realization that it's easier to be good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for short rides. I hope her ankle feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures, but I'm sorry poor Dusty was a bit lame. I hope it's nothing serious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for the ride and I hope Dusty is back to her runway best very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Dusty had a great grooming session. Glad you got out for a ride.
    I'm very sorry to read or your loss of Murphy. He was very cute and clearly had a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, you're riding. Hopefully she just had a bruise or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pics are gorgeous! I hope that Dusty gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sure looks gorgeous out your way! How is Dusty doing?

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.