Monday, October 3, 2011

The Blue Report


" Blue "
Thanks everyone for your ideas and strategies for helping me help Blue be all that he can be. I’m convinced that Blue has an internet connection hidden somewhere in the barn and has read the previous post about himself.  It may be the only way to explain the sudden change in his attitude.

This weekend we had two very nice rides—both in the indoor arena, since it was mostly raining.  To start we walked on a loose rein to warm up practicing a little leg yielding and steering.  Next we trotted the rail and, believe it or not, he was very up and very forward in both directions.  Working trot, lengthening, just ask and your wish will be granted.  Finally, we ended with a few patterns over cavelletti.  Blue was traveling at a good pace, trotted the poles, steered, and balanced around the turns, all the time with enthusiasm and perky ears.  I thought during these rides I’d been transported to Equine Fantasyland.

I don’t know who the aliens are who replaced the old Blue with the new Blue, but I’ll take it.  The only thing I did differently that may have changed the situation a tiny bit:  I didn’t turn him out first thing in the morning to let him graze for a time until I was ready.  He munched on a flake of hay after breakfast while I took Donnie down to the arena for some longe and clicker work.  This didn’t take more than forty-five minutes and then it was Blue’s turn.

The change might also be explained in the following medical terms:  Blue wasn’t out walking around and grazing, which in turn taxes his delicate system by wearing him out but instead preserved his energy level.  Or it could be explained by environmental facts:  the temperature dropped dramatically and this in turn put a little wind in his sails.  Whatever the cause for his night-and-day turnaround, I’ll take it.  Who knows, this may continue or the aliens may return the old Blue from the mother ship before the next ride.

Until next time

Quote for Today
Riding is a partnership. The horse lends you his strength, speed and grace, which are greater than yours. For your part you give him your guidance, intelligence and understanding, which are greater than his. Together you can achieve a richness that alone neither can. 
    - Lucy Rees -

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.