Sunday, January 29, 2012

Patience Is A Virtue


"Thanks for that swell grooming job mom"


I’ve heard that Patience is a Virtue.  By nature I’m not a very patient person but having dealt with horses for so many years I’ve had to put my natural - get things done personality - on the back burner so to speak.  This has become even more apparent now regarding my therapeutic work with Dusty.

We’ve been grooming and hand walking in the arena for about a half an hour at a time.  The part that’s going against my natural instinct is I really want to saddle her up and ride her at the walk.  She looks fine, her leg is healed according to the vet and she seems to want to do more too.  The vet gave permission to ride her at the walk for about forty-five minutes in straight lines with resting times until she’s built her muscle and stamina back.

Circling around in my brain are the yeas and nays of the situation. The conundrum is: I simply don’t feel right getting on her back when I consider her back and legs not strong enough to hold a rider yet. I’m apprehensive about reinjuring her suspensories if she’s not one hundred percent.  Still, I’m having conversations with myself about riding her.  If the vet gave the thumbs up maybe I should listen to him and get on her to walk her.  Would it build her up quicker I wonder? 

I’m going to give her more time to get in shape because I feel it’s the right thing for her.  As much as I want to saddle up I’ve got to curb my enthusiasm and do what’s right in my mind to make her stronger and give her more time to heal completely.  Patience is one of the non-existent personality traits I’m working on and hope to conquer.  Sure is hard though.

Until next time
Quote for Today
To many, the words love, hope and dreams are synonymous with horses.

6 comments:

  1. Ophelia has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    I always thought clicker training would be fun to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-ingspots has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    My mom used to quote that line to me often as I was growing up...seems like it didn't sink in much! I've always been challenged with having patience. I try to tell myself (as far as horses go anyway), that "the slower you go, the quicker you'll get there". Usually, I've found it to be true. I understand your dilemma though, it's hard to know what's the best course of action. Trust your gut...you'll know what's right. How's your weather? Seems like warmer weather is a commonality lately. We've had tons of rain in January, but the last few days it's sunshine and temps in the 40's and 50's...could spring be arriving early this year? Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Máire has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    I am sure you are right to listen to your instincts and give it more time. And I am also sure that I know all about having to develop patience with horses - which does not come naturally to me either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    You're doing the right thing. It never hurt a horse to go slow.

    I just started grooming mine and hand-walking them after all the moving we did. Round pen is not up yet, perimeter of the property is not all fenced in and they are nervous and jumpy. Daughter is anxious. Wants to hop on. Maybe we'll get the round pen up this weekend. But it doesn't hurt them just to be taken out, groomed, walked, and even simply saddled and unsaddled. It's good for their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    I'm in the same position as you, and especially with Minnie I think she really needs some muscle first before I ride her again, she has been off for 2 years now and she has no topline left. Cassie looks better, but is also fatter, so I guess I'll stay with the groundwork for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol has left a new comment on your post "Patience Is A Virtue":

    Oh boy can I ever relate to this post. I've been off Rogo for a month, and I ache to get on him, even for a bareback walk. There's just a connection you miss when you can't ride.
    You are such a good 'mother'. I know your instincts will tell you the right thing to do. Dusty looks sweet by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.