Sunday, April 27, 2008

' Dusty and the Back Paddock Boys '

The ‘Carnival of the Horses’, hosted by Hoofbeats is taking submissions, the last entry date is April 3o, below is our submission to the blog carnival. I hope that this light-hearted play will help bring the plight of the unfortunate horses in this country to the attention of more people. These sometimes forgotten abused horses deserve better.


‘Dusty and the Back Paddock Boys ‘

Cast

Mellon (aka Mission Impossible) – Director

Dusty (aka Moon’s Stardust) – Star in her own mind

Donnie (aka Donegal) – Backup singer

Nate (aka Ex Animo) – Backup singer

Blue (aka Biloxi Blue) – Backup singer

Mellon: “Everyone gather round, some interesting news has just arrived”.

Hoof beats clip clop in the barn aisle, all the horses surround Mellon to hear the news. Everyone except Dusty, of course, she is in her stall sulking with her door tightly closed to keep the riffraff at bay.

Mellon: “It seems we are to be part of a blog carnival, and have been asked to perform a group song as our contribution.”

Dusty flings her door open: “You’ll be needing a lead singer, won’t you? I will be right there. I’ll need a dressing room, of course, and a new wardrobe. And a personal assistant. And someone to groom my gorgeous mane and polish my hooves. Plain or twinkle shine, I can never decide… sigh. Where is my groom!” Stomp!

Mellon: “If you want to be part of this performance get out here right now.”

Dusty: “Well, I never…! Is that any way to treat your STAR?”

Mellon: “One…two…three…f…

Dusty: Oh, if you insist, I’ll have time to primp properly before the show, anyway. This is just my dress rehearsal”.

Donnie: “Can I pleeeease do a duet with Dusty, please, please? I know just the right song!”

Mellon: “No Donnie, you’ll be singing backup with the others.”

Nate: “I should be in the middle, I’m tall. And handsome,” wink, wink. “Tee hee.”

Dusty: “Yes put Nate in the middle he can stand behind me and his chestnut color will bring out my golden coat. As long as he doesn’t block my light…”

Blue: “Whatever. Who cares? All the world’s a stage, blah, blah, blah.”

Mellon: “This is what I have to work with? Great. Just great.”

‘We Are the Herd’

(Sung to the tune “We are the World”)

There comes a time when we hear a certain whinny
When the herd must come together as one
There are horses dying
and it’s time to lend a hand to life
They’re the greatest gift of all

We can’t go on pretending day by day
That someone, somewhere will soon make a change
We are all a part of a great big family
And the truth, you know,
Love and care is all we need

[Chorus:]
We are the herd, we are the yearlings
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let’s start giving
There’s a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
its true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

Send them your heart so they'll know that someone cares
And their lives will be stronger and free
As they have shown us by turning lives around
So we all must lend a helping hand

[Chorus:]
We are the herd, we are the yearlings
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let’s start giving
There’s a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
its true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all
But if you just believe there’s no way we can fall
Let us realize that a change can only come
When we stand together as one

[Chorus:]
We are the herd, we are the yearlings
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let’s start giving
There’s a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
its true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

Mellon: “That was great! Dusty what are you doing!?!”

Dusty: “I’m practicing my Miss America wave. I am the star of the show, after all. Do you have any Vaseline for my teeth?”

Mellon: “This isn’t about you; it is about the starving and abused horses in the world.”

Dusty: “What do you mean, it’s not about me? It’s always about me! I’m being starved and abused right now!”

Mellon: “Being starved of attention doesn’t count! You sure don’t look like you’ve missed too many meals…”

Dusty: Stomp! “What are you implying, hmmm? Are you saying I’m fat? Because if you’re saying…”

Mellon: “I’m saying there are horses all over the world who have nothing to eat; who are abused; who are suffering. There are horses that are being abandoned or sent to slaughterhouses. The worst thing that’s ever happened to you is your polo wraps didn’t match your saddle pad. There are REAL problems in the world, you know.”

Dusty: Oh. I had no idea. The horror! I didn’t realize, but, of course, I will give a speech following my performance and we can hold a telethon and take donations. I will even answer the phone myself! Everyone will want to talk to me. We will raise a lot of money and no one will ever have to wear mismatched polo wraps again! Do you think they’ll give me a Nobel Prize?

Mellon: “Sigh...” He shakes his head. Never mind. Okay guys, one more time from the top...”

Until next time

Quote for Today

In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take the time to visit. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on what I've written. Even though I sometimes don't have the time to reply to each comment, I do enjoy reading them.