I’ve been tagged by MiKael’s Mania - Arabian Horses, who was tagged by Gorilla Wordfare. This one’s subject matter, ‘Top Five Causes/Pet Peeves/Things That Irritate Me’. Like all awards, memes and viruses the rules are the same. Please link back to where you got it from and pass it on with links.... I actually don’t mind this one as I have more than enough things that irritate me on a daily basis and to choose just five will be a snap, since I have been blessed with more opinions than a centipede has legs here we go:
- Rollkur now referred to as “hyperflexion.” Come on people. Just because you changed the name, doesn’t make it any less tortuous to the horses. Anyone who employs this despicable practice should be banned from the sport. This includes the trainers, ‘top riders’ who need to keep their game rolling for those big money endorsements, judges who allow it without fining and throwing them out of the competitions, and just about anyone else who would take a shortcut and use this method to “train” a horse.
- Anyone who ever ran - or still runs - a PMU facility. This is one form of abuse that should never have been allowed. No matter how much drug company money you pocketed. How do you sleep at night?
- To all of you backyard breeders who don’t have a clue as to what you are doing. Just because you have a mare or a stallion, that doesn’t give you the right to breed horses. Do you really think this will be your ticket to prosperity? Most of these horses wind up abused or on their way to slaughter because there is no market for horses that are poorly bred. Once the light bulb goes off and you finally figure out there is no sale, you abandon these horses to their own devices for survival and most of them do not survive.
- Anyone who takes in rescue horses from a rescue organization and figures it would be a good idea to ask people for donations to help you feed and care for them. This would be a nice idea if you had an idea of how to rehabilitate a rescue horse. Except your main concern seems to be how to make money from the abuse the horse has suffered already, i.e. the pictures I get in the mail of starving, beaten horses is sickening. As an added perk, the money you take in will also keep you from having to get a job to support your own horses. A nice gig if you can pull it off. Sadly, most of you cannot and so the rescue horses will eventually have to be re-rescued once again.
- All horse people who only have their own (or their trainer’s) opinion, and will fight you to the death to prove, despite all evidence to the contrary, they are right. Open your mind a little and let some daylight in once in a while. Research new training methods, if it’s not for you, at least you gained knowledge of some kind. People with closed minds and only one way of doing things are a little shallow; in order to expand and become a better horse person, you must look into different opinions. Even if they are different from yours, there may be one or two things you can learn.
It seems I have been given the Excellent Blog Award and would like to thank gecko musings , who has an interesting blog about her farm and other goings on Down Under in
I hope everyone is pleased to receive this award, I know I was.
Chosen again by diary of a young horse, for this meme tag:
The rules are...
You must post the rules before you give your answers.
After you've been tagged, you need to update your blog with your middle name and answers.
You must list one fact about yourself for each letter of your middle name.
Each fact must begin with that letter.
If you don't have a middle name, just use your maiden name/last name.
At the end of your post, you need to tag one person for each letter of your middle name. (Be sure to leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged and need to read your blog for details).
So here is my middle name and what I came up with,
A – anxious to get back in the saddle as soon as the weather improves
N – normally not neurotic
I fear I will have no more blogger friends left if I tag one more person so I am not officially tagging anyone, if you would like to participate please do.